FACTS AND FIGURES
- We serve an average of 3,500 children per year
- Disposable diapers cost up to $72/month, per child*
DAILY CHALLENGES FOR LOW INCOME FAMILIES
- Many families can’t afford transportation to warehouse discount stores to buy in bulk. They must purchase supplies at local convenience stores which can double or triple the monthly cost.
- Cloth diapers are rarely an option. Coin-operated laundromats do not allow customers to wash cloth diapers due to sanitation concerns.
- Due to income constraints, disposable diaper “life” is sometimes extended by drying and reusing them. Babies can spend a day or longer in one diaper, often leading to diaper rash, staph and urinary tract infections.
- Most childcare centers, even free & subsidized, will turn away a child who arrives without a day’s supply of disposable diapers.
- Diapers cannot be purchased with food stamps.